Austria Rauris Valley Snowshoe trek – The Essentials
Rauris Valley is a lovely valley close to Salzburg and in the middle of the Hohe Tauern National Park in Austria.
The valley is 30 km long, located in Salzburger Land, and extends from Taxenbach via Rauris to the well-known valley head of Kolm Saigurn, at the foot of the Hoher Sonnblick. But it isn’t just its length that is considerable: Covering 253 km², Rauris (elevation 948 m) is the largest community by area in all of Salzburg province – yet with only about 3100 permanent residents.
Rauris Valley is often nicknamed the “secret jewel” of the National Park. The shape of the mountain, especially the West faces are perfect and of the right angle for snowshoeing. In this trips you will send the first and last night in a hotel in Salzburg and the 5 nights in the middle in a hut at the every end of the valley, so you can enjoy the “secret jewel” of the national park in full!
Airport: Fly to Salzburg. Transfer when you arrive to your hotel in Salzburg.
Hotel in Salzburg: Guest house in the seminary Salzburg
Hut in Rauris valley: Sonnblickbasis hut at the end of Rauris valley
Included in you holiday:
– Local transports during the trip. Airport transfers.
– luggages transport by snowmobile to the hut on Day 2 and 7.
– 2 nights in the nice guest house seminary in Salzburg (2 per rooms, single supplement available), ideally located. B&B
– 5 nights in the Sonnblickbasis, at the end of Rauris valley, multisharing, one dormitory room for men and one dormitory room for women, toilet and showers in each dormitory rooms. Half board
– 6 Guided snowshoe walks, including snowshoes, sticks, and safety tools with qualified international mountain leader.
– Transceivers, probes and shovels. Not Included in our snowshoeing dolomites holiday:
– Single room Supplement (€80 for the 2 nights in Salzburg).
– Individual insurance.
– All extras not included in the itinerary. Check lit:
-Walking boots, (leather boots).
-Gaiters, warm pair of socks, some lights too.
-Winter hiking pants, long johns, and waterproof Goretex overtrouser.
-Goretex jacket/ Waterproof jacket breathable.
-Fleece jacket. Duvet jacket.
-Micro fleece and mountain tee shirts for base layer, if possible avoid cotton tee-shirts.
-Hat and cap, Buffs.
-Sun protection, eye protection (sun glasses and goggles can be handy if you have some).
-Gloves two pairs, one light and one warm.
-For snowshoeing no need to bring your walking sticks as we provide them, unless you prefer to use your own.
-Rucksack 30 Litres with straps to carry the snowshoes when necessary.
-Water bottle 1L to 1.5 Litres preferably. A small thermal flask so you can drink hot in the mountain.
-Camelback not so recommended (tend to freeze in the winter).
-Don’t forget your own medication (if any)
-Blister treatment (second skin, etc,..). Booking and deposit process:
– Deposit of €360 to be paid at the time of booking to secure your place.
– Balance to be paid one month before the trip