Cycling in Provence – Alps : the Essentials
Cycling in Provence – Alps : a cycling holiday trip with the best of both worlds, both in the natural setting and the itineraries! You are at the gates of both Provence and the Alps, in the High Provence department in an area of quiet Provençal roads, vines, fruit trees and traditional villages off the beaten track, and at the foot of the steeply rising Alps with great peaks visible all around and accessible by bike. The Cycling in Provence itinerary offers with quiet rolling country roads ideal for easier rides, and steep Alpine climbs for those seeking a challenge. The routes can be adapted according to your cycling level and wishes.
Based in an exceptional region of preserved natural environment, between the Ecrins National Park, the beautiful Devoluy massif; the fabulous Lac de Serre Ponçon and the 2000+m Massif des Monges just above, you will love your accommodation in the village of Clamensane, a traditional French gîte with excellent food and swimming pool.
From Clamensane, take a ride to the Provençal fortress village of Sisteron, the “Gateway to the Alps” with its towering Citadel dating from the 12th-19th centuries guarding the gates between Provence & the Alps; or go on a Durance River ride, on the “Route des fruits et des vins” : rolling roads through fruit trees and vines on the lower slopes of the surrounding hills, with local producers selling their wares roadside. From the Durance cycling around the Serre Ponçon lake : a fabulous tour around blue waters with steep banks and mountain peaks around. the foot of the lake is in Provence, while its head is in the high Alps! You’re also a stone’s throw from the Ecrins National Park and the charming Alpine town of Gap, pretty in flowers from Spring to Autumn.
Physical demands rating: Moderate (around 60 km & 800m climbing) to Challenging (around 100 km & 1600 m of climbing, optional extension).
Airport: Fly / Train to Marseille. group transfer organised at around 1 pm.
Gite: Les Tilleuls B&B in Clamensane.
– Local transports during the trip. Airport transfers.
– 6 nights in the family run gite les Tilleuls in Clamensane (single room available).
– Full board.
– 5 cycling days with France Outdoors itineraries and support vehicle.
– One guide for the 5 days (guide in the support vehicle and organization – guide is not cycling).
– Possibility of an extra second guide depending on group numbers.
– Bikes hire on site.
– Flights – Train tickets to join the trip.
– Individual insurances (travel and medical-repatriation).
– All extras not included in the itinerary pages 1 & 2.
– Single room supplement: 90€ for the week.